Monday, December 18, 2006

But Ma! Aren't you Having Christmas This Year?


In our house growing-up my father was teasingly known as "The Grinch" and over the years he has acquired many stuffed versions of said "Grinch" from the typical to the koosh version. My mother has always put up a tree, decorated it with love and homemade ornaments and hung stockings for all of us. What a nice image huh? But you know, as I grow older I begin to see the Christmas hub-bub is a whole new light. Basically I'm becoming a "Grinch" or "Scrooge" or maybe just a grown-up; the jury's still out.


I don't like Christmas anymore. I don't like the pressure to buy more stuff with no money for people who don't need more stuff. Yes, even my kids- they don't need anymore toys- PLEASE for the love of Santa- NO MORE TOYS! Books are always welcome- but really we have a mini library of toddler congress already.


I'm trying to decide if I just have a case of the Holiday blues or not. But really, every year we pick out some poor little dead tree to hang our odd collection of ornaments on. Ten we try to hang lights on the house without falling off the ladder- actually that is kind of funny. I stress out over what to get for everyone. Randy stresses about what to get for me- I stress about what to get for him. We work and work and work to do, do do and I feel like were missing the damn point. All religions aside, really what's the frickn' point??


Then it sort of hit me like a reindeer fart in the face- we do it because our Mama's did and our Mama's Mama did before her. For years my mother carried on with the decorating and false cheer for us- her kids. So it makes me wonder, did Granny do the same for her? Is Christmas tradition just some perpetuated myth about holiday cheer handed down by the mothers of the family. We do it because our ancestors did- not because we necessarily want to, but because we're programmed that way?


Not a very happy thought I know, and I'm not sure I buy it wholesale myself, but it does make me think. Would my mother be much happier on a cruise to Mexico on December 25th than making mashed potoates and ambrosia for us? For that matter how would she feel it I stole her and we ran off to Tahiti for a christmas rum punch and a tropical christmas tree? Now that's a tradition worth starting!


Or maybe we should go to Australia- you know it's full summer there at Christmas time. My friend Natasha, who is from Australia, said they used to leave out a beer for Santa on Christmas eve; no milk and cookies for him! That's a lot of extra weight to carry around in the middle of summer big guy- maybe a few less beers would help (hint, hint)


Either way I think we need to rethink this darn season- because really, we should wish for peace on earth all year round, we should think of others all year round and I for one, would love to give and get presents all year round too! Not because we are expected too, but because someone genuinely thought of us and we did the same. Now that's a present worth giving or getting.


So Ma? Are you having Christmas this year? .... or are we going to Tahiti?

9 comments:

Dani said...

Your looking at it backwards. You aren't the Grinch, you're the Who. One of those cute little (not a short joke)characters that keeps Christmas in their heart all year around. So stop pretending. I know that little I want to love everyone all year through elf is just bursting to come out!

Cate said...

I agree with you & Dani. You're not a Scrooge. I'm finding the holidays harder & harder each year. What's the big deal about that day? Not just Christmas but the whole lot of them.

We should be thinking of others all year, we should be thinking of Jesus' birth all year, & we should seek peace all year. If we bend over backwards and cross three county lines to see ALL family on THAT day, why do we go weeks or months between visits throughout the rest of the year?

This is our 3rd year with no decorations at all & our 5th year without a tree. I stopped because I wasn't enjoying it & found it to be only stress inducing. I'm not signing off decorating permanently, I just take each year as they come.

The whole thing rather saddens me.

Kat said...

I think all of you are right. I know that it isn't the same for me this year. Part of that is because this is my first Christmas without my mom. But really, I'm Jewish so what the heck. I want to care, but I don't really. I strongly believe in thinking of others ALL the TIME...not just one day a year.

At least you have kids to "motivate you", whatever that means...I guess I'm doing it for my cats? I don't think they appreciate the effort.

I like Cate's statement...take each year as it comes. And frankly, I'm a little sad myself.

Anonymous said...

And the painted pony goes up and down, we're captive on the carasol of life, like mother like daughter, etc. etc. etc. Really, I have been saying for years that it is time to get back to the real reason for the season. Since when does someone have to give you a gift for you to know they love you. Give me some time, change a light bulb for me, any time of year....God is Good...

Anonymous said...

I vote Tahiti. And I'm calling the FAA on Santa for flying drunk.

-Agent Orange

Anonymous said...

Wow! You all are bummin' me out. I know, and we all know, we should see our family at other times, and give gifts just because, and have it not be expected. That's fine, don't give gifts to each other. And as far as the kids go, teach them that it's not about the presents. Take time to decorate the house WITH them not FOR them, or bake cupcakes with them, or make homemade christmas cards together, for each other and give those on christmas morning. Then take some toys, old or new, down to a shelter, or help pass out food. Goodness gracious people, get creative.

I am an only child, and I got showered with gifts on Chistmas, and that didn't matter to me. All that was important was that my mom and dad were there. And my favorite part of the season was when I got to see the rest of my family, and we all hung out with each other. That's still my favoite part. I can't wait for that. Yes, we should try to do that more than just at Christmas time, but I don't have time and the people I want to see don't have time. We make time at Christmas, because the world is more understanding at Christmas, cuz that's what everyone else wants to do too. If you "Bah Humbug" your chance, (to see everyone), away, when are you going to find time, in all of your busy scheduals, to do so after the holidays? Think about it and get back to me. Really, I want to know when you have time to see people and when they will also have the time to see you?

And no Cat you are not a grinch, and I have the panties, halloween card, and lights to prove it.

Anonymous said...

I'm a grinch, too. We bought a tree this year b/c the baby might like the pretty lights, but does she need any presents? No. And I literally had to make a catalog of her books. (You can download the spreadsheet on her photo page if you want to borrow anything.)
The thing I resent most about Xmas is that if I see a present for somebody in, say, June, I either have to keep it in a closet until December (which is somewhat wasteful) or buy an obligatory trinket later in the year. Feh.
You'd be surprised the good deals you can find (and breathing room) flying on Xmas day. Start your own traditions!
-gk

Miriam said...

Tahiti schmahiti. Here we are waiting to take you to all the award-winning breweries and such in Portland. Any day of the year, baby.

Anonymous said...

OK, Christmas has come and gone, it happened wheather we were ready for it, or not. So, another lesson learned....life goes on, and it IS GOOD. The kids loved the tree, the food was good, you can have Christmas dinner without Momma and the sun still comes up in the morning. It's the new year and they alrady have Valentines in the stores!!! Time to move on. Love to you all and have a wonderful year!!!!