Monday, January 14, 2013

Testing...1..2..3..Is anybody out there?

Well, it's been over a year since my last post. I didn't post AT ALL in 2012 and only 4 times in 2011. I haven't been as verbose since Facebook became the "IT" way to keep up with the daily antics of our fellow humans. I mean face it, it's a hell of a lot easier to type in a quick status than it is for me to write on a blog. Besides, I'm not a "blogger". I don't have a following and I don't have weekly or even daily posts filled with my pithy observations on life around me. I don't get paid to write, hell, I don't even LIKE to write. Yet, here I am, writing (typing) once again and oddly, once I got started, it was a tad easier than I recalled. So now that I've written a paragraph saying that I was gonna write again, perhaps I should come up with something clever to tell you. um... gee... um... well... huh... not as easy as I thought. ok... still thinking... Well, how about this? I am now "teaching" students that were born AFTER I graduated from HIGH SCHOOL. Now, for those of you that are Teachers in the elementary and middle school age range, I realize this is not new to you. HOWEVER, I teach at the collegiate level and dammit, they look like adults and if they look like adults, then they aren't that much younger than me, right? RIGHT??? Shit... not right. I KNOW I am not THAT old. Hell, I still feel 16 half the time and afraid Mom's gonna ground me, but seriously, this is the first time I realized that I'm old enough to be their MOTHER. Oh hell, no. This means there is well and truly a generational gap now and I'm no longer "hip". Ok, ok, so I was never really "hip", but you get my drift. These kids will not get my pop culture references and I sure a hell won't know theirs. WTF is "One Direction" and who is "Ke$ha"? Wow, I'm so square! Wait, is that even used anymore? Has it ever truly been used since 1955?!?! Ok, so now WTF am I supposed to do to relate to these kids? I'm already teaching them some antiquated "skill" that has no place in a digital world, save as some novelty. I think the real difficulty for me, is that somehow now, I see myself as some kind of mentoring figure for these kids and I still don't know my ass from my elbow. I still haven't figured out how the hell to be a put together successful adult. How on earth am I supposed to be a "good example"? BAD IDEA!!! Danger Will Robinson, Danger!! (Like they even know what I'm talking about?) Well, I guess there really isn't much I can do about it. The students stay the same relative ages and I keep steadily getting older. The only alternative is to stop getting older, but that should only happen metaphorically. At least for another 30-40 years, anyway. I've still got some good years left in me and who knows, but the time I figure my shit out, I may be "retro" and have a return to "hipdom"... or at least not simply be "the crazy lady in the costume shop!"

3 comments:

Curiously Converse said...

Need not worry about not having that whole "being a successful adult" business figured out yet. You definitely aren't alone there. I'm still working on it as well.

As for trying to relate, I always think music is a good bridge builder, you might be surprised that they do know some things outside of the last few months. Worth a shot. Anyhow,it's good to see what you're up to.

Oh, and by the way, sewing and costuming isn't an antiquated skill, I still find it pretty useful and am glad I can use it as a starting point for other crafty business!

flask said...

every time a blog i read gets lost because its author thinks facebook updates are somehow better i weep just a little.

regular people have interesting lives and facebook updates fail to capture that.

what you were doing when you were blogging was creating content instead of reposting or just liking it.

i have missed you.

regards, random internet stranger.

jennifer anderson said...

well you obviously think a lot and you write about it so maybe you should think of yourself as a writer.