Tuesday, April 11, 2006

"CAR"MA



I think I owe my parents an apology, in fact I know I do. I personally think it's a miracle that my parents are here with us today. 14 years ago I put my parents through the most harrowing experience of a parents life; I learned how to drive. At the time I thought they were over reacting to everything I did and that they just didn't trust me to "take care of business". BOY WAS I WRONG.

Last week I took my 18 year old nephew to get his driver's permit. He passed, barely- he missed 6 questions. 6! I weep, apparently the young man before him missed 13- for the love of.... but I digress. So he passed and I, in my naivete, decided to let him drive. He did well at first, a little jerky but ok. It wasn't until later, when he was driving for my husband with me in the back seat, that I almost had my first honest-to-god heart attack.

Stop signs were viewed as mere suggestions and the gas pedal was intimate friends with my floorboard. Yes I am exaggerating, but not by much. I think that when he got in front of Randy his testosterone kicked in and he had to be "cool". Sacred the ever lovin pee out of me- twice!

He calmed down and actually did rather well but, oh my! I seriously think it was a miracle I didn't "drive" my parents to an early grave. The scary part is that he was given a 1969 Mustang for Christmas. He wants to drive it so badly- I only hope he figures out that red means stop, green means go and yellow doesn't always mean go like a bat out of hell!

Talk about Karma.

4 comments:

Cate said...

frightening, yet hilarious! i'm glad you're safe...for now :-)

Kat said...

Payback is a total bitch my friend. Just wait until it's Abby....duh, duh, dun!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is how this works!

Dani said...

Two words for you:
Car dancing!