Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Coffee Communication Differences

I'd like a small coffee.

Ok. A tall coffee.

No. A small coffee.

Yeah- A tall coffee.

What? I don't want a large!

Oh do you want a Grande?

Grande? No. I want a small. What's a Grande?

A medium.

Medium? How is Grande medium? Grande means big, right? I mean, when I order the Nachos Bell Grande I want them big!

Oh you want it big? So you want a Venti?

I'm sorry what? Venti? WTF? No I just want a small coffee.

Ok- One Tall coffee...

Tall = Small

Grande= Medium

Venti= Large

I swear men started this company. Is it some sort of coffee compensation relating to the size of their twig-n-berries? Because when something is small I'm gonna call it small- not Tall.

7 comments:

Miriam said...

Just to mess with you further...

They have a small.

It's called a "short".

If you say small, you get tall. If you say short, you actually get a real-live small coffee.

Bastards= bastards.

BUT.

Starbucks in the middle of a 14 hour road trip through small town America= a thing of beauty.

Kat said...

I swear...that place is run by mutant aliens that speak their own language. If you don't speak their speak they look at you like, "what did she say?"

Anonymous said...

jeeze....you gals never learn! Make coffee at home, take your coffee maker and makings with you on ALL road trips!!! Guess you have to be a Senior to do that! Sure not the "in" thing to do, but I always have good coffee in the size I want (not too short, please)

Cate said...

you all crack me up.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! What a TALL Winky you have!!

Dani said...

Please, please, please tell me that you made this up. You can't be serious! First of all, how can you STILL be going to that place--THAT place?! Secondly, how is it that you meet the "challenged" Starchucks servers? Wow. Maybe you should start drinking green tea or something. The ancient ritual behind the tea ceremony would be a breeze after all tha veni, veti, venti--give me my damn coffee--crap.

Anonymous said...

To add to what Miriam said - they do indeed have a "short", so the order would be:

short= small(est)
tall= medium
grande= large(r)
venti= x-large

BUT!! Here's the kicker! You won't find short on any menu there; someone walking into starbucks (i.e., you) wouldn't even be aware of the existence of the "short" unless you overheard someone else ordering it. As you saw, asking for a "small" gets you a "tall" - not a short. I imagine they're trained not to mention the fact that people have a smaller (& cheaper) option than the "tall."

Yes, bastards. Caveat Emptor.

But. I still prefer them to anyone else. Yes, yes, I have indeed made a pact w/ the devil that is starbucks.