Friday, February 09, 2007

Roll Out the Barrel

My children always amaze me- with their humor, intelligence and compassion. Some days, however, bring me to new heights of parental awareness.

Annabelle was a fairly easy going toddler- at least I think I remember it that way- let's just assume my muddled mind is correct in this. I swear estrogen has something in it that makes us forget or softens the edges of reality. Anyhow-

My son has done everything in his power to do everything the exact opposite of Abby. From the difficult pregnancy to his sleep patterns. This is not bad, it's fine, he is being his own person. What it means though is Randy and I still have no idea what to do with a toddler!

I'm standing in front of my sink trying to get ready for my day. I know my children have had breakfast- I fed them. Then over the din of the hair dryer I hear crying. Not the "I'm-hurt-you-better-hurry" kind of crying more of a constant whine crying. As I shuffle around the corner hoping everything is ok, I find my heart leaping to my throat. Alexander is on the table... standing on the table... yes, the kitchen table. Arms wide and tears flowing, he can't figure out how to get down. Luckily he didn't try to jump! Seventeen months old and he's a frickin' monkey! Don't get me started on the ladder for the bunk bed!

My son is also very impatient. When he wants something he wants it now and he doesn't want a substitute. Milk in a bottle, NOT a sippy cup. It's still milk kid! But No!

Randy was prepping the bath for Alexander when Alexander decided he wanted to get in.
"Hang on" "No!" Randy goes around the corner to get something only to return to find our son, in the tub... shoes and all! Fully clothed." Wait? What does this word wait mean?" Brat.

He is so funny and cute and stubborn (that's all from his Dad by the way!- Stop laughing... No, really, ALL Randy) If this is just a fraction of what I will face as a teenager- I tremble in fear. I'm beginning to think my father is right, Boys do belong in a barrel!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to home depot right now to pick up the wood and the metal rings. How many holes do you think he needs to breathe?

R

Cate said...

i hate to scare you even further but...seems to me that once the boy-ness of childhood begins to be wearing off of Alexander is just about the time the girl-ness of teenager will sprout it's ugly head with Abby. Buckle up, my friend, it's gonna be an interesting ride.

And remember, I'm here for you. Through monkey water-soaked boys, 3 pony tailed little girls and everything life's gonna throw you. love ya.

Miriam said...

a-HA!
A barrel.
Genius.

Anonymous said...

Just be aware, he is getting it out of his system now and his teenage years will be a breeze(you wish) Aunt Jan

Anonymous said...

The saga continues at Nana's house. Not only is he up on the table, but he is into the sugar bowl! Sugar all over the table, what fun, sand painting discovered anew! And forget the easy bedtime now that there is no bottle. Slap the sippycup across the room. The bad part is that he is so CUTE when he does it...have to leave the room to keep from laughing and try to remember that we are to teach him socially acceptable behavior..not just pick him up and cuddle. Well, we ARE trying....

Dani said...

I can't tell you how sorry I am to be missing all of this. You know how I LOVE monkeys. I am so jealous you have one of your very own...alive and running around (on the table). Thank you so much for filling me in electronically. I at least have that. I feel like a bad auntie...but tell them that I love them. Hold a picture up and make my mouth move so they remember me! Love you guys!