Friday, February 29, 2008

Please sir... May I Have Some More?

I can remember being "younger" and thinking that if I made $60,000 a year, I'd be set for life. I don't need a million dollars (not that I'd turn it down mind you) I just don't need it. I have many "things" and lots of "stuff" so I really don't need more.

However, as an official adult, I am finding the age old truth that the all might dollar is nothing but a wimp. I don't make $60,000 a year, but I do ok- and am grateful for it. My husband, the glamorous pilot- currently makes less than I do. WHAT? Are you astounded? Don't all pilots make over $100,000 a month? I mean really? Well, no... in fact, the average first year pay for a co-pilot/first officer is less than $40,000 a year. And they work like demons for it too.

So to be clear, I am by no means poor and do not mean to act as if I am in the poor house. We have nice things, we have a house etc. and I am grateful for it- truly. But to come to the REAL point of all of this nonsense is this.... How do I ask for a raise? I despise asking people for more recognition.

It's not like I can walk in and say, "Hi! I've been here for 3 years without a non "cola" raise and I think you need to give me more money."

"Why? Oh you want to know why my piece of the pie should be bigger?"

"Um.... because.... umm... Hang on let me think."

Where the problem comes in has nothing to do with money. It has to do with ego and fear. I am afraid to be told, "No. You suck. In fact you should pay us to work here."

I also don't know how to sell myself- Yes I'm good at my job. But really, how on earth am I going to explain what I do and why it's important to your average "bean counter"? Half the people I meet have no idea what my job entails and about a third of those think I just muck about playing dress up.

No, my job is not required to keep society moving. In fact, the arts are often the first thing to go to the guillotine of budget cuts. But my work has value, and it's hard work too. Not just "anybody" can do my job, or my husbands for that matter.

We worked hard for our education. And now we work hard for the money, so hard for the money... (Sorry bad flashback) So we should at least make enough to pay back the student loans that got us here, right? Maybe I should use that as my justification for a raise. "Pay me so I can pay my loans, so you can have more students that can be in debt too!"

Anyhow... I'm lucky to have a department that will support my efforts to increase my piggy bank, I just wish I felt better about asking for it.

6 comments:

Miriam said...

It's funny how the academic world works especially in the realm of m-o-n-e-y.

I don't know if this carries over to your world at all but in music any kind of recognition, accolade, activity that brings in students, mention of your department by students as a reason to choose that school, articles or photos or ?? published anywhere, or other PROOF OF ACCOMPLISHMENT (wish I could insert a bar-code there) is a convincing way to bring up the subject. Another thing I've heard of is drumming up notoriety for your own stuff. Like contacting a newspaper reporter to do an article- ostensibly on your department, but you could easily be the "most available" for the actual interviews and hopefully photographs. They're often more than happy to have a human interest story, and it gives the school more publicity. Which you can mention when you walk in, jingling your offering basket under their pinched little faces...

You should both be rewarded handsomely because I know you work hard.

Miriam said...

But if that fails, I hear Dickens is frighteningly effective... with the right costuming.

Anonymous said...

You're worth it. Believe it. I do.

That's what I say. And we'll be fine...

Cate said...

I'm afraid this may sound harsh but here goes...

one is not entitled to a higher salary because of their student loans. in fact, the sucky thing is, one isn't entitled to any more money or even the job one has. one is only entitled to claim their accomplishments, credentials, degrees that they have achieved (including student debt) as their own. Entitled is different than deserved. Does one deserve a raise because they work their tookus off and do a good job all the meanwhile? Yes. Is one entitled to it? No. Does one deserve a raise because they haven't gotten one in 3 years & cost of living has gone up? Yes. Is one entitled to it? No. Is one entitled to more money becuase one has debt no. Would more money make paying debt off easier. Duh.

Though it sucks & it's hard YOU MUST SELL YOURSELF. Not because you're entitled and they should give it to you but because you deserve it. If you don't sell yourself & require more of them for you, why would they do it for you.

Education & Academia is a business. Shouldn't be. But face it, it is. If they can get a product for less money, that's good business. Paying more than what is asked for a product is bad business. YOU NEED TO ASK FOR IT!

You deserve it. You're good at your job. In three years your cost of living has gone up. You are valuable to the depart and the students. That's worth alot of beans.

I love you. Keep me posted.

Kat said...

Well said Cate. Yes, yes and yes!! It is all about self worth. If you don't believe that you deserve it then nobody will. That department is luck, yes I said LUCK to have you!! You are brilliant at what you do and you have great interaction with the faculty and the students!! You are respected by many others. It is time to respect yourself!

I was once told if you don't A-S-K then you don't G-E-T. And the answer is already no unless you ask for something different.

Since you have to go through all of this trouble to "prove" why you should get a raise tells me that they (the powers that be) are just banking on the idea that most people are too scared of the process to even ask. If that is the case then no money spent. Excellent for them, but bad for you. Be part of the few and not the many.

Also, your career choice is hard work, dammit. Lots of hours, long nights and many skills that the majority of people haven't a clue about. Talk to any theatre/arts person and will tell you the same.

Go get you some money hunny!!!

Dani said...

How is the raise hiest going? Here's some more fuel for the fire: GAS. Gas prices are crazy, rising faster than the COST OF LIVING, though the cost of living argument after THREE years is a big one. Usually there is some sort of REASSESMENT each year, around the time of evaluations. Money often comes along with that. You mean to tell me it's been three years and they haven't renegotiated your salary? You are SO MUCH ME VALUABLE to them now than you were the first year. You know things now that you didn't. You have a history and repore with the professors/the students/the staff. You know how the job works, how the school system works, how the production schedule goes. You have made the job your own and started new things...I'm sure you have...tell them! Look at what other jobs are going for in university shops around the country. They need to be COMPETATIVE, especially since So Cal is an expensive place to live.