Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Fork...in...my...eye


Let's say you're a chair maker... ok? and you make custom chairs. And you've been hired to make 80 chairs. 40 in a renaissance style and 40 in a 1940s style. No problem right? Sure- can do!

SO you go to a meeting with your client and the tell you that they'd like to take some preview pictures of your chairs a few weeks before they're due. Ok no problem- can do! Oh, and you'll only have a hour to set up- ok no problem- can do! And... they really want to see all 80 chairs in the picture, it sells more... UM....PROBLEM! NO CAN DO.... You want me to bring all of my chairs, when I haven't even finished putting them all together yet, AND SET THEM UP IN ONE HOUR!?! TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF CHAIRS? AT ONCE.

"Well, they say, "I GUESS we could pay for an extra hour for the photographer. Just throw anything out there"

So let me get this straight, you want me to bring all 80 chairs, in various states of repair, for you to take pictures of... pictures that will represent MY work, and "JUST THROW ANYTHING OUT THERE"?

No- simply put no. There's not enough time. NO.

I don't like saying NO- especially is an astounded and shrill voice, but I did... I said no.


I should just go into the fork industry...

5 comments:

Miriam said...

I will need a large box of those myself. I like that one with the knifey end to it. There are days when I'm sure I'll need both.

Anonymous said...

people are dumb. good for you for saying no. i know how hard that is.

dumb ol' photographers.

Kat said...

And the word of the day is NO!!! Seriously, some people don't have the brains they were born with. Or maybe they do but they just don't use 'em. Good for you for saying no!!!
It's easy to forget that, "No!", is a complete sentence.

woowoo

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about the models that they want to sit on the chairs, and how they and the chairs are all different sizes, and how you have to match the models to the correct chairs. I think "NO" was a good answer.

Anonymous said...

Necessary, but oh, so hard.....