Monday, January 23, 2006

Little Fish- BIG Pond!


You know I thought we'd one day grow out of all of the silly things we did in high school; the rumors, the power trips, the cliques. Nope- turns out that when we enter the work force the games become more intense and sneakier.

Not that I don't still love my job, but I've been here for a year now, and I am just now sorting out the "office politics". Knowing what to say and what not to say can be difficult. I find it's the passive agressive person that drives me the most insane. I mean really, how hard is it to be straight forward with someone? To be fair, I avoid confrontation like the plague, but some how it still finds me.

Any how, it's interesting being the youngest person in "the office" I have less experience in working world diplomacy. I am closer in age to the students and am trying to find the balance between authority figure and collegue. It is especially hard when the students are older than I am or even the same age. I still don't think some people take me seriously- that's ok, for now. I'm not sure I can take myself seriously. :)

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... right? Well I guess if I stay in the pond long enough, I will understand the currents and not get caught in the under toe. (Look at me using a metaphor! GO me!)
The problem is, in high school I was never very good at swimming- I might end up sushi yet!

(ooh look more metaphor)

3 comments:

Cate said...

Just don't let them turn you to the dark side. It's a slippery slope. I was again told today to toughen up & decided silently, "No, I don't wanna be hard & callused. Even if I keep getting bruised."

Hang in there frined. Call me if you need me.

Kat said...

Hang in there my friend. Office politics are everywhere. It will get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. hen, it will get worse again. It ebbs and flows like the mighty ocean. Just know, t will happe, but you don't have to get sucked into it!!! Be strong sistah!

Coco said...

I like your metaphors :)