Monday, January 02, 2006

So Why My Aunties Panties?

As we begin 2006- I have decided to start this blog- as many of my friends will tell you, I am no writer, but I've decided to give it a try anyhow.

So... Why My Aunties Panties? Really I think it has something to do with being too big for my own britches (or breeches). It is also a reference to my late Aunt Bevie- she was one swell lady who always encouraged me to "Go for it!" We lost her earlier this year all too quickly.

You see, I have this grand idea- a calendar or photographic survey on the history of women's underwear, entitled "My Aunties Panties!" I have had this idea for ages, I have even begun working out ideas for it with a friend of mine, but I haven't made it a reality. There is no good reason for my procrastination, just the my old pal- laziness. Aunt Bevie's death has forced me to start thinking- life is too short to sit on your butt waiting. I know, I know it's all too cliche for words, but cliches come from truth and this truth hurts.

2005 was not a year I that can be easily summed up with a quick phrase. It was neither hard nor easy- it just was. It was filled with so many ups and downs that I am still trying to recover my balance. What I do know is, 2005 has taught me that there really is no such thing as a "good year" or a "bad year"- it was just a year; just life.

Here are some of the ups and downs-

January 2005-
I was hired as the temporary Costume Shop Manager for CSUSB!
My first show was "Macbeth".
I found out I was pregnant!

April 2005-
Found out I was having a boy- 30 min. later we were told he might have Down Syndrome.

May 2005-
After much testing- including the dreaded amniocentesis- we were told our baby boy was just fine! - except for the fluid on his lungs.
With the help of my Mom and Sister, we finished "Man of La Mancha" with no time to spare. (Those that know me will understand the significance)

June 2005-
After what seemed to be a bout of "Shingles" Aunt Bevie was finally diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer- she died 3 days later.

July 2005-
My father retires and I am hired permanently at CSUSB- on the same day!

August 2005-
We can finally buy my husband a new car, his first ever- a Dodge Magnum!
My son was late in arriving. I was unpleasant to be around!

September 2005-
My Son arrived- finally- 8 lbs. 8 oz.- happy and healthy. Except for the breathing problems.

October 2005-
I went back to work.
My best friend moved to silly ole' Washington.

December 2005-
My father had another stroke- classified as, "not as bad as the last one" How is that reassuring? I mean really.

As you can see, practically every month brought me something new and different to deal with. All is can say is that I am thankful for all of the blessings of 2005, trying to accept all of the trials, praying for a happy and healthy 2006 and hoping that the new trials will not be insurmountable. But mostly I imagine I will be too busy trying to keep up with my 3 year old and infant to focus on the "good, bad and the ugly".

I love you Aunt Bevie, I miss you and I want you to know that I intend to "go for it!"

2 comments:

Cate said...

welcome to cyper space my friend! great post! sorry i've not been much help this last year on "map's".

Dani said...

I had one of those lovely older ladies to spur me on, too. Aunt Bevie and Hattie are probablly out there (wherever there is) playing bridge and eating peach pie as they send us "Go get it!" vibes. At the very least they are in the folds of our brain, tending the seeds of hope that they planted. In the meantime...I'm out there (where ole' Washington is) to pick up where Aunt Bevie left off. "Go for it, Pea 1!" We only get the one so we might as well go for what we love.